[mythtvnz] Mtyhtv UPnP to PS3 AAC recode

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:13:35 GMT 2009

Greetings.

I've been on the list for a while but this is my first question.

I have finally got my myth box working on DVB-T thanks to some help from
Hayden Lovett. My PS3 can now play recordings of all channels over UPnP,
probably thanks to one of the recent firmware releases ~2.50.

Video playback is smooth as silk. I had previously tried the same thing last
year on the 2.10 firmware and it failed badly. However, the PS3 still has no
support for LATM AAC and I can only get audio on TV3 recordings thanks to
the AC3 stream.

I have had some experience with Fuppes (http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/) in
the past, which provides live transcoding for situations like this. As I
understand it though, the Myth UPnP server has no support for live
transcoding. So as far as I can tell, I either;

  - Compile Fuppes with a patched FFmpeg to support LATM, as a drop-in
replacement for the MythUPnP server, or
  - Configure a transcode job in Myth to convert just the offending audio
into something playable

I would appreciate any suggestions or hearing from anybody who has already
looked at this.

Regards,
Jonathan Hoskin