[mythtvnz] Question about how XMLTV and tv_grab_nz-py work

Hayden Lovett hayden.lovett at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 00:51:51 GMT 2009

Questions I have are:

1. How do I add Prime to the epg data?
You need to find an XML file that contains Freeview and Prime data.  There
is the listings-all.xml at http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/ but it does not
contail any freeview data.  You could setup a second source in the backend
and make it do a very slightly different job

   - Make a copy of your /usr/bin/tv_grab-nz-py file and call it
   tv_grab_prime-py
   - edit the file and change the link where it downloads the data from to
   http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/listings-all.xml.gz
   - Go into the backend and add a new video source, the new file should
   show up in the list - if it doesn't show up it means that you will need to
   edit the file again and change something in the header so it is different
   from the other one
   - Give your Prime channel an xmlid of prime.sky.co.nz
   - now mythfilldatabase should run both scripts and get data for both
   video sources

If you can find an xml file with both Freeview and Prime just use that one
and dont worry about all those steps.  And let me know so I can add it to
the MythKiwi Control Panel.

2. I want to set up a capture card that only receives Prime via a Sky Box (I
have sky box that only gives me Prime - special deal available if you do not
get Prime clearly via UHF -you pay a 1 time only fee for the installation
and the STB) So I need a video source which only has Prime,but I still need
my other video source with all free to air channels. So the question is how
do I set up different video sources using the same grabber?
3.    Although I followed Hayden's instructions and they worked I'd really
like to know how they worked. Eg what effect does the TVNZ.xmltv file have.
How does the grabber use this info to grab the correct channels. Will
Mythdatabase run automatically to retrieve new epg data or do I stillhave to
make a setting somewhere.

Using a prebuilt TVNZ.xml file means you wont have to go through the lengthy
manual channel adding proceedure after setting up your videosource, the
proceedure I mentioned above does not use a prebuiltfile so you will need to
go though the setup after defining the video source ( you might have to
alt-tab to it as it runs underneeth mythtv)

In the frentend go into setup -> main and on the last screen it has
mythfilldatabase setup.  The MythKiwi control panel should have set this up
for you when you used it before.

I havn't used this method before so let me know how you get on.

You call the Prime help line. I paid something around $150.00 this included
installing the dish and cable from the dish to the TV.

Thats a good cheap way to go.

-Hayden Lovett