[mythtvnz] XMLTVNZ installation

Dean Pemberton dean at deanpemberton.com
Mon Jan 5 19:51:47 GMT 2009

Jason Taylor wrote:

> Also whats the legal stand point of these.... it seems like hosting a
> zip file might be seen as distributing where as a screen scraping is
> person use? not sure, not being a lawyer and all

There are other ways.
If you have a DVB-S setup then you can get the information directly from
the incoming stream.
epgsnoop would be the tool to use.

What I'd like is something like 'shepherd' which the aussies use.  It
looks at what channels you have defined.  Looks at ALL the ways of
getting guide data:
. scraping official websites
. scraping other websites
. community based guide information

Downloads them all and uses some quite cool rules to determine the best
source for any given show.

It's an awesome system as I'm sure those who have used it will agree.
It's what the majority of MythTV users in Aus are using I believe as it
has native myth database support

I've spoken to the developers in the past and they are open to the idea
of a .nz branch.
Anyone care to have a look?

It would mean that you could point shepherd at riven, epg.pvr.geek.nz,
tvnz/canwest websites, your own sat dish, and get the best of all worlds.

Dean