[mythtvnz] State of h264 decoding

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Jan 4 08:20:58 GMT 2009

On 4/01/2009, at 6:55 PM, Bernard Mentink wrote:

> Ok, we are getting off the topic here, I repeat my questions are:
>
> 1. Status of hardware support for G45

Not there yet.. Might be some news at LCA this week as there are a
couple of Intel presenters.

The initial Intel HW support in xorg is for support other than H.264
video

> 2. What is the stability state for h264 decoding.

About the same. Some recent patches to ffmpeg i've not had a chance to
try yet.

> I am not interested in an nvidia card .... please direct responses
> to the topic.

Sadly some people are following the general theme of the subject
rather than the content of your posting.

Steve

> Cheers,
> Bernie
>
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Richard (lists)
> <rich_lists at richms.com> wrote:
> The 8400GS is hardly noisy or hot, and at least in windows does a
> great job of playing all the freeview HD channels and even bluray,
> so I would expect similar once the access to the GPU is sorted from
> myth.
>

> Its available in a passive Heatsink even, so its TDP must be pretty
> low. Standalone boxes manage h.264 without even heatsinks on chips
> so there is no reason for a decoder to be hot and noisy.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz