[mythtvnz] Best way to reduce CPU use (by ~10%) during software encoding/decoding

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Mon Feb 23 08:05:49 GMT 2009

Nick Rout wrote:

> Why are you using analogue encoders in this day and age?
> Anyway you can only use one card for the set  top box. Keep the PVR150
> and get a satellite card.

I only have a VHF aerial and I don't want to pay to have a satellite
installed when I ultimately want to move to DVB-T as soon as
practicable.  That is also why I'm not overly keen to spend much more
time and money setting up additional analogue options.

There are too many missing links in the chain for me to move to digital
now: I understand support for NZ DVB-T still requires patches, UVD
support for ATI cards is not yet in fglrx and the USD exchange rate has
put all hardware prices up by so much that I am buying as little as
possible.

I also only have a remote for the bttv card, so I'd rather leave that in
there.  Thank you to those who offered me additional hardware encoding
options - I really appreciate the offers, but I'll wait and see how the
current setup works, first.  I will be in contact if things don't work out!

Thank you to Steve for the resolution suggestion - that seems to have
cut the CPU usage by enough without destroying the quality.  I am still
quite disappointed by how much CPU decoding MPEG-2 takes - it is
significantly more than MPEG-4, which is a much more compressed format.

Regards,

Aaron