[mythtvnz] VDPAU OK on TV3, not elsewhere

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Feb 23 02:50:02 GMT 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:27:08 +1300, you wrote:

>I have been helping a newbie get his DVB-T box up and running. I am
>sorry but some of this will be vague until I ssh into his system again
>tonight to get exact error messages, but I am looking for some tips in
>advance as I don't want to miss anything when I have the chance to ssh
>in.
>
>The CPU is some grunty quadcore monster and he has a EN9400GT Silent
>512MB video card.
>
>Its a fresh install of Mythbuntu 8.10 plus I have enabled JY Avenard's
>stable repo and upgraded. [1]
>
>TV3 seems to run fine but every other channel  runs very badly [2],
>being totally broken up (a bit like a video where the player is
>struggling to find an I-frame). Sometimes a message comes up in the
>frontend saying there has been a video error, sometimes it simply
>freezes and won't respond to keypresses, sometimes it plays on for
>quite a while, but badly. There is a stream of messages in the
>frontend log but I didn't write them down at the time, hopefully can
>access them tonight.
>
>Composite is disabled in xorg.conf and the output of
>/var/log/Xorg.0.log seems to confirm it is disabled.
>
>Not sure if I got my playback profiles right - does anyone have a set
>they use successfully in NZ with vdpau? (also where do I find these in
>the database as I will be accessing by ssh).
>
>[1] I did encounter problems upgrading because of the shift of
>libvdpau from nvidia-glx to nvidia-libvdpau, and in the end had to use
>dpkg to remove the nvidia driver and then do the upgrade. But it is
>all up and running at 180.29 now.
>
>[2] for the benefit of JY and any other people who may not be familiar
>with the NZ channels there is a summary here:
>
>http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/2009/02/11/initial-vdpau-testing/
>
>In short TV3 is 1080i, the others are all 720p or 576i.

One other difference between TV3 and the rest is the audio.  TV3 has
both AC-3 and HE LATM AAC audio in separate channels - you can select
which one is played.  The rest have only HE LATM AAC audio, which is a
bit different from standard AAC audio.  So it is possible that you do
not have the HE LATM AAC audio working correctly and TV3 works because
it chooses to play the AC-3 audio.