[mythtvnz] Best way to reduce CPU use (by ~10%) during software encoding/decoding

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:18:08 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Aaron Whitehouse
<lists at whitehouse.org.nz>wrote:

> So here is my question (after all of that background): I only think that
> I need to reduce CPU use by about 10%, but I am not sure which settings
> are the best to change in order to get that. Disabling 4MV or HQ
> encoding saves a lot, but the picture isn't very good. Tweaking the max
> and min quality makes some difference, but I'm not sure which to change.
> What is the best thing for me to change?

Have you tried mpeg2 with the software encoder? That should be considerably
easier to encode. Otherwise the easiest sure way is to cut the resolution -
480x576 should give you the reduction in requirements you need, see if
that's still acceptable quality-wise.

Cheers,