[mythtvnz] Hardware questions

criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 13 23:08:16 GMT 2009

matthew pearce wrote:
> I have found this on Pb technologies and wondered if anybody had any
> good reasons not to use it for Mythtv.
>
> EX-LEASED IBM Netvista 8188 P4 3.2 512MB, 40GB, DVD combo, XP Pro
>
> PB Everyday low Price: $265.47 +gst ($298.66 incl)
>
> I have a 120 Gb hard drive which I would swap into it instead of the
> 40 gb. (although the list says even this is way too small, it should
> do for the time being.)
>
> I was wondering if this box would have enough grunt to be a combined
> backend/frontend and be suitable for HD use in the future.
>
> Also if this is a reasonable price.
>
> I think (hope) it has an AGP slot in it and one PCI slot.

Not really - a

Dell GX620 DCCY Optiplex
P4 3.4 GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 160GB SATA HDD, DVDRW (slim line), PCI-e (half
height), XP Home COA (not loaded)

will cost you around $300 +GST +Freight.  Could make an excellent
frontend - might not be enough for HD though it does have a PCI-E slot
for a modern video card.

Google the model and see what you see.

AGP is dead - can't really buy new ones any more.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/