[mythtvnz] Getting remote to work on Ubuntu 8.10 - Hauppauge Nova-T-500

banksie at paradise.net.nz banksie at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 6 00:21:14 GMT 2009

Quoting Ross and Jemima Knudsen <ross.jemima at gmail.com>:

> Sorry that didn't paste correctly. It is (typed by hand this time):
>
> lircd(userspace) ready
> accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> initializing '/dev/input/irremote'
> unable to open '/dev/input/irremote'
> caught signal
>
> There are several of these entries.

   When I was configuring my Nova-T500 HD I couldn't use /dev/irremote. Instead
I have to use the input by path specifier so for my setup this is :-

REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-path/pci-3-1--event-ir"

This will vary depending on what pci slot you have the card plugged into. So you
need to do a little rummaging in /dev/input/by-path to see where it is.

Philip