[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 9.10 HDMI audio for nvidia?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 23:30:54 GMT 2009

Hi

2009/12/21 Stuart Whelan <mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz>:
> I am using a Galaxy GeForce 9500GT connected to a Sony LCD TV.

This video card doesn't support directly native audio over HDMI.

The way it takes the audio is through a passthrough cable connected to
the SPDIF interface on the motherboard.

As such, you don't do anything related to HDMI audio with this card;
you only configure the standard SPDIF (IEC958) audio forgetting about
the video card.

> The TV is connected via a DVI -> HDMI cable.

Does that card has a HDMI connector ?
Did you connect the video card to the SPDIF header on the motherboard ?

> Last night I tried the various MythTv frontend settings for "Audio
> output device" and "Passthrough output device". Some of the options
> included an option for HDMI output, but I was unable to hear anything
> no matter what settings I tried.

Yes, with this card ; forget about HDMI ; it's not relevant to your card.

native HDMI audio is only supported with the 9400/9300 chipset and the
new nvidia GT2xx cards
> --
> frontend at frontend:/var/log$ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
>  Subdevices: 1/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
>  Subdevices: 1/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> --
>
> No HDMI mentioned there, although I am running the command from work
> and the TV may be switched off. Not sure if that matters.

This is normal as explained above.

Make sure you have connected your nvidia card to the SPDIF header on
the motherboard.
If your video card doesn't have such cable or connector ; you can't do
audio at all

Jean-Yves