[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:45:10 GMT 2009

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I think people are mixing up the broadcast transport stream format
> with file formats.  The broadcast transport stream is a multiplex with
> multiple TV channels in it.  Each of the TV channels also has multiple
> streams: 1 H.264 video, 1 LATM AAC audio and possibly 1 AC3 audio, and
> possibly a teletext stream.  And MHEG5 EPG and EIT now/next EPG as
> well - I have not seen documentation on how MHEG5 and EIT are
> broadcast but I think they are probably also just streams too.  When
> MythTV selects out a channel, it takes those streams it needs from the
> ones for that channel and drops the rest of the streams for that
> channel and also all other streams for the other channels.  For
> example, all MHEG5 data is currently dropped as MythTV does not
> support it.  It then multiplexes the streams it wants for that channel
> together into a container format and writes that to disk.  The
> container format it uses is not the AVCHD format.  It probably uses
> 188 byte packets, which, I believe, is what is broadcast, as that
> would be the simplest thing to do - just copy what was broadcast.  The
> AVCHD file format uses 192 byte packets, and does not permit AAC audio
> (only AC3 or PCM).

Yeah the point was regarding the container formats but I guess its
redundant talking about it anyway.  Just in one case the TV receives the
broadcasted multiplex and can isolate the appropriate channel and play
it back but in the other it cannot playback the same content back from
Myth.  But its obviously their intention not to enable this feature.
> So the problem is the container format - Sony TVs strictly require
> AVCHD format for the files they read.  Other TVs, eg Samsung, seem to
> support a wider range of transport stream format files and can read
> the MythTV format.  This is just Sony being silly really - they could
> easily have supported more formats, and could easily release updated
> firmware to do just that (the TV's firmware can be updated from a USB
> stick).  But Sony invented the AVCHD format, and use it on all their
> video gear, so making their TVs only support AVCHD means it is more
> likely you will buy a Sony video camera to go with it.

Thanks for updating re Samsung being able to play Myth format.  Its gay
how Sony restrict themselves to their proprietary formats.

PS Stephen, I think Myth uses the Platinum DLNA code base currently when
I last looked into all this.