[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Dec 7 10:16:12 GMT 2009

On 5/12/2009, at 9:08 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Changing the MythTV box to use its external IP address worked fine.  I
>>> just changed the fields in the MythTV Backend Setup to the correct IP
>>> address, and for good measure also made the Frontend use the same
>>> external IP address for accessing the MySQL database.  It all worked
>>> without any problems, unlike the last time I tried it with Ubuntu 8.04
>>> and MythTV 0.21.  So maybe something there has been fixed in 0.22 so
>>> it all just works.  upnp-inspector now says the MythTV box is a UPnP
>>> server.  But the Sony TV does not yet see it as a server, although it
>>> does see my Vista WMP UPnP server and so far I have been able to get
>>> it to display some stored photos from there.  I have to experiment
>>> more with it all, but Mum wants to use her TV now, so it will have to
>>> wait for tomorrow.
>>
>> I was unable to get the Sony KDL-32V5500 TV to see the MythTV UPnP
>> server, so after some googling I tried minidlna:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/
>>
>> With that, I can get the TV to play the MPEG2 recordings from the
>> PVR-500 card (Sky programs), but the H.264 FreeviewHD programs do not
>> work so far.  And of course, the raw filenames that minidlna serves up
>> are pretty useless for working out which program is which, so ideally
>> once I get minidlna working, I would want to port that code to the
>> MythTV UPnP server.
>
> OK, I have now got a little further with this.  I used an SQL UPDATE
> to change the data in the minidlna database to something suggested by
> the author, and that made the Sony TV see the FreeviewHD files.  But
> unfortunately it will not play them.  To confirm that, I put a small
> Prime SD recording on a USB stick and plugged that into the Sony TV
> and it would still not play the file.  So now I need to find out what
> format H.264 files it will play, and see if it is just a case of
> changing the container format, or something more difficult that would
> need full transcoding.

I've done a bit of testing with the Sony's and neither the Series 2 or Series 3 Bravias will currently play our broadcast H.264 streams, or pretty much any H.264 streams, off USB or other media which is a real shame.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has made things work.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz