[mythtvnz] Freeview and TeVii s420 questions.

matthew pearce pearce.mg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 01:02:45 GMT 2009

Hi

Thanks for all your help previously. You guys are great! :-)

I have managed to align an old sky dish and now receive Freeview with
a TeVii s420 (Mythnbuntu 9.10) at the recommendation of Criggle. It
seems to have been good advice and works well on all channels.  Mythtv
is great - this is the first time I have had it running properly -
much better than a tevo. I especially like the "small window with a
channel in it as you watch another" feature. However I can not get the
remote that came with the TeVii s420 to work.

I was wondering what the lirc driver for this card is, if any.
I found an lircd.conf file for it at the end of this page:
http://lircconfig.commandir.com/lircd.conf/
I editied what seemed to be the appropriate fields in
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf but no /dev/lircd was created on boot.
I also wondered exactly how the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file works (ie
what all the fields do and if it is ok to leave some of them blank).
Is the lircd.conf file redundand when there is a hardware.conf file
with that field filled?
I was also was wondering if there was a quick and dirty test to find
out if the harware is working?
Also if there is any logging for lircd and where to find it.

Seeing as the TeVii s420 is on special I thought I might buy another
one. Is there likely to be any difficulty in getting the two cards to
play nicely together. Also I presume that two dvb-s cards would let
you watch/record every single Freeview channel at once. No?

I was also wondering about the epg. When I configured Mythtv I
selected the "transmitted guide only (EIT)" option. I heard that the
EIT was only for the upcomming show and last minute programing
changes, however it seems very comprehensive and goes 7 days ahead. I
was wondering if there was another soource of guide data
_off_the_satellite_ .
(Me:"Is the EPG sent in the satellite data stream, and can 'mythtv'
pick it up?" Criggle:"Yes - you run epgsnoop to slurp the data out
into a xml file then feed that to mythfilldatabase" Is he refering to
the EIT or something else?) Also, what is the channel that only has
epg data in it for. Is this the EIT?

As a side note the GeForce MX 440 (agp card - 64 Mb ram - VGA/S-video
out) that is in my Mythtv machine produces a strange purple coloured
line across the top 1/4 of the screen. It only seems to occour when
the x-server starts up, (bios/tty are unaffected). A friend thinks it
could be hardware problems - cross talk in the memory,  but I am not
sure. Could it be a driver issue?

I am also planing on reinstaling mythbuntu again, so as to be able to
use an LVM system to connect a 80 and 120GB hard disks together. Any
ideas for doing this as mythbuntu is installing? or would I have to
install the lvm tools and figure out how to use them after Mythbuntu
is installed?

Thanks again

Matthew