[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Dec 2 07:46:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:28:08 +1300, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> It is automatic these days as long as you did not use 127.0.0.1 as the
>>> backend address. If you did use 127.0.0.1 the all "external" networking
>>> functionality (including DLNA) is disabled.
>>> And you can't just change to the real address either, as that value is stored
>>> in the database.
>>> I'm sure there is a procedure to do it though.
>>>

>> Thank you, that looks to be my problem.  During install, there is a
>> question about using external access, and I always answer yes to that,
>> but it insists on setting things up as 127.0.0.1 anyway, so that is
>> what I have at the moment.  So now I have to find out how to change
>> the IP address - last time I attempted it, I got nowhere.  This time I
>> know more about SQL so I should be able to track down all the places
>> where 127.0.0.1 is currently used.

>>> Nope, there are some good DLNA servers out there but they have a major issue.
>>> They use inotify to find out changes to the file system, usually with a 3
>>> minute delay. Which means that after 3 minutes of a file showing up it is
>>> listed in DLNA.
>>>
>>> The problem with that is that all new MythTV recordings show up as 3 minutes
>>> long, and the PS3 for example will just stop playing the file after 3 minutes.
>>>
>>> PS: I have tried
>>> - PMS - Good for transcoding
>>> - Coherence - abysmal memory utilisation (1.3Gb of memory on my server)
>>> - minidlna - pure DLNA file server, brilliant if you don't need transcoding.
>>>   (12Mb memory utilisation)
>>>

>I too am interested, could you post an update showing how you
>(hopefully) achieved it?

Changing the MythTV box to use its external IP address worked fine.  I
just changed the fields in the MythTV Backend Setup to the correct IP
address, and for good measure also made the Frontend use the same
external IP address for accessing the MySQL database.  It all worked
without any problems, unlike the last time I tried it with Ubuntu 8.04
and MythTV 0.21.  So maybe something there has been fixed in 0.22 so
it all just works.  upnp-inspector now says the MythTV box is a UPnP
server.  But the Sony TV does not yet see it as a server, although it
does see my Vista WMP UPnP server and so far I have been able to get
it to display some stored photos from there.  I have to experiment
more with it all, but Mum wants to use her TV now, so it will have to
wait for tomorrow.