[mythtvnz] Zotac ion settings and issues

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 09:28:39 BST 2009

Has anyone got a Zotac up and running and doing everything they want?

I have a single core board with a Mythbuntu 9.04 install
2gigs of RAM
JYA repository for Myth
Nvidia 185.18.31
A Philips media centre remote receiver (and a Logitech remote)

After a few weeks of tinkering (a little bit each day) I am about 80% happy with the way it works.

Issues I have are:

Sometimes on boot up it seems to start 2 instances of Mythfrontend - not absolutely sure that this is what is happening as I haven't sshed in to check what processes are running, but when it happens nothing plays well and when I use escape to exit I end up exiting Mythfrontend and find a second version sitting behind, which I then have to exit before I can restart Mythfrontend and watch stuff.

Sometimes on boot networking does not start, I have to exit mythfrontend (which hasn't started properly - I get the can't find uPNP server error) and run /etc/init.d/networking restart to get networking going.

Audio seems to be out of sync on most recordings, by up to 50ms. It's not out of sync on my other frontend so it must be a playback issue. Sometimes when I adjust the audio sync audio stops altogether.

When I use timestretch say to 1.2x the video speeds up fine but the audio breaks up badly. "top" shows no real increase in CPU use going from 1x to 1.2x but it acts like the processor can't keep up with the required stretch. I've tried all the options for deinterlacer in case it was somehow related to the NVIDIA driver.

Just wondering if anyone is seeing the same issues or if anyone has a better performing system, I'd love to know your settings.