[mythtvnz] mplayer from jya repository not playing ISOs

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 22:01:24 BST 2009

Seems that I have a problem with the version of mplayer that I have installed, 2:1.0-svn 29352-x264-vdpau-0ubuntu2 - according to Synaptic.

It plays avi files fine but doesn't play iso files that have been ripped by Myth - these files did previously play fine - seems to be an issue with this version of mplayer.

The same iso files play fine with VLC. Also I get the same issue on 2 different front ends with this version of mplayer.

Also this version of mplayer plays other video files eg avi fine.

The errors in mythfrontend log are:

[mpeg2video @ 0x89a7e60]Missing picture start code
[mpeg2video @ 0x89a7e60]Missing picture start code
[mpeg2video @ 0x89a7e60]Missing picture start code
[mpeg2video @ 0x89a7e60]Missing picture start code

It seems like mplayer is not using the libdvdcss to decrypt the iso, but this is just a guess on my part.

I'm pretty sure this version of mplayer comes from the JYA repository, but i'm open to correction.

Is anyone else using the JYA repository and seeing this problem?