[mythtvnz] Aleutia H1

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:13:18 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Steve V<olivuts at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> You don't need an optical drive, as you say - rip to the backend!
> >>
> > Fair enough, I'm fairly new to Myth so how does this work.
> >
> > Wife, kids etc come home with a DVD, they want to watch it now. Ok they
> can wait 15 minutes for it to be ripped.
> >
> > Do they stick the DVD in the DVD drive in the backend machine? and then
> what? do they have to log into the backend and do the ripping there, or is
> there some way to do this via the frontend using the Myth menus?
>

> Good questions....
>
> If they are ripping to an iso it should be pretty quick, its just
> copying the entire dvd to the hard drive - no encoding.

On my Windows laptop it takes about 30mins to rip an 8GB DVD as an iso. Even
without encoding it's slow enough to be annoying if you're waiting for it to
finish.

> I must admit myself to having a dvd player as well as a mythfrontend.

You should give Myth another go. We started using it for the convenience of
not having to switch inputs. Then one day we were watching something and the
quality didn't look that good in Myth (was a little jerky) so we thought
we'd try the standalone player. The standalone player was much worse - not
jerky but less clear and much more washed out. Of course my standalone
player is about 10 years old and doesn't have progressive scan or
anything... but still I was impressed at how good the picture was in Myth
comparatively.

Cheers,