[mythtvnz] BT878

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 11:43:22 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Daniel Faulknor
<daniel at danielfaulknor.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone had any luck with BT878 tuners?

Yes, I used to use one. If you've got enough CPU power to take the hit when
encoding they're fine (in fact you can allegedly get a better picture than
with a PVR-150 if you are willing to take the time to tune all the
parameters).

> I have a PVR-150, and a BT878 (Its some dogdy pixelview one)
>
> It's picked up ok by the bttv drivers (ive specified the card
> in /etc/modprobe.d/bttv.conf),

Have you got the correct tuner chip set? The BT878 is actually only the
video capture chip, it doesn't do the tuning. BT878 cards can have any one
of dozens of tuner chips. See, e.g.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/BTTV/modprobe.html#TUNMOD. If the card can capture ok
from the composite (or svideo) input then you need to set up the tuner
correctly. If the composite/svideo doesn't work either then you've got
bigger problems.

Cheers,