[mythtvnz] Bt878p+

matthew pearce pearce.mg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:00:24 BST 2009

Hi

Have recently acquired a computer ( 2.66Ghz 512 DDR) and installed
mythdora on it. The box has a nVidia AGP card in it. I have no reason
to use HD in the near future, so I simply use the svideo out with
nVidia's proprietary drivers.

As usual I have a bunch of questions (sorry :-) ):

When I play a DVD in xine, top reports that the process is using 25%
of the CPU. Is this normal?

I have a BT878 card in it. I don't understand quite how these work.
With the pvr-150, a MPEG stream is produced at /dev/video0. So what
does the bt878 produce at /dev/video0?

How (at a low level) do they change channel? Is something sent to /dev/video0?

Does mythtv need to have mythfilldatabase run before it will display
tv when the "watch tv" option is selected?

The card I have is described here:
http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2002/05/msg00392.html

He refers to making changes to the /etc/modules.conf file. Has this
changed to /etc/modprobe.conf ?

I figured it mush have been /etc/modprobe.conf and made the changes.
However the bttv driver would not load until the line "options
i2c-core        i2c_debug=1" (from that website) was removed.
I am wondering if this line is needed. Do you really neesd to have debuging on?

Also I have a hunch that some of the names have changed from 2002 when
he wrote the article.

What is the best way to check that  the capture card is working?

Thanks for all your help

Matthew