[mythtvnz] Have I got a dodgy DVB-T card?

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Mon Apr 13 00:32:30 BST 2009

OK, a big thanks to Justin who came around this morning with his Myth box so
we could do a comparison.

We have worked out I have reception problems. Kind of. Maybe....

Plugging Justins box in we got everything to work, but experienced similar
problems to those I get, though where as my box reports signal strength of
95%-99% he only reported around 70%. Eventually we tried using his rabbit
ears, which work fine for him at home, but that dropped signal strength to 35%
and we could not get a lock on any channel. When we switched back to using my
main aerial his box would still not get a lock on anything, until we
eventually rebooted, and then it was fine again. Weird.

As it stands, I am sitting here watching TV One on my box with no problems at
all (though we did get one lock-up of the front end when we were playing
around). TVNZ and Mediaworks all work, but Kordia will not work at all. I
guess I can live with that situation!

Given I have very high signal strength, but low S/N, I am hypothesising that I
am either getting significant interference from somewhere (anyone know what
interferes with DVB-T broadcasts?), or, maybe I am getting multiple
reflections that are screwing things up? I also suspect that the
cards/drivers/myth are not dealing with the problems of reception as
gracefully and consistently as they could.

My next step is to see if I can scrounge a proper Freeview STB (maybe some of
the retailers have loan units?) and see how well that works, and maybe play
with my aerial alignment, though given that I paid a pro to set that up I had
assumed it would be spot-on. If that is all no-go then I will have to kill my
dream of HD TV. Sniff.

Cheers again, Justin.