[mythtvnz] Have I got a dodgy DVB-T card?

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Sat Apr 11 06:40:41 BST 2009

I've been playing around with VDPAU and Freeview HD for a week or so now, and
I am starting to come to the conclusion that something is very wrong with my
system.

Initially I had all channels working, but TV3/4 were rough, and TVNZ channels
could sometimes be a problem. I was focused on vdpau setup etc and assumed
that the various error messages and performance issues I was getting related
to problems with this. Indeed, with a bit of playing around things semed to
get almost 'good'. However, after a week I have noticed the following:

1) Signal strength is always strong, but S/N is sometimes stable but other
times all over the show.
2) Running a full scan of the transports is very hit-and-miss. Sometimes it
will pick up everything, other times it will only pick up one transport.
3) Running a transport scan manually specifying the frequency will get a
result. But if I then scan the other transports in the same way I get the same
set of channels for each transport, as if the card has not actually switched
frequencies.
4) Once all the channels are configured, often they will not tune properly
(only get a partial lock in Live TV). If I go back, delete, and re-scan they
will often then work perfectly.
5) It may be just coincidence, but it seems that if I get the TVNZ multiplex
working the Kordia multiplex will not work, and vice versa.
6) A full scan tends to produce a number of extra transport listings with a
frequency of zero.

I am using a Hauppauge HVR-1200. Can anyone suggest what would produce the
above other than a dicky DVB-T card? I have a new, professionally installed
aerial with masthead amp, so I am working on the assumption there is nothing
wrong with that end of things.