[mythtvnz] AverMedia has released USB Linux drivers

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Apr 1 06:46:33 BST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:59:58 +1300 (NZDT), you wrote:

>On Wed, April 1, 2009 5:38 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> I was just visiting the AverMedia site and I noticed a news item:
>>
>>   http://www.avermedia.com/AVerTV/Press/NewsDetail.aspx?Id=271
>>
>> It seems they have released Linux drivers for most of their USB DVB-T
>> tuners, including the one I have:
>>
>>   http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=9
>>
>> So that opens up some more useful choices for MythTV.
>>
>> The dates on the driver downloads are quite old (May 2008), but I am
>> pretty sure they were not there last time I visited the site a couple
>> of weeks ago.
>

>Great news, but would be even better if they would do PCIe support for
>devices like this one
>
>http://www.iway.co.nz/product/XJS86QW63RX8/AVerTV-Duo-Hybrid-PCI-E-TV-Tuners-(Digital-Terrestrial---Analog---FM).html
>
>Still it is very nice to see.

>Steven Ellis - Technical Director
>OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
>email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
>website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

Yes, indeed it would be great to have drivers for the AVerTV Duo
Hybrid PCIe, as I have one of them too, in my Vista desktop.  I had
not thought that Avermedia would produce drivers for the USB sticks,
so they may yet surprise us with PCIe drivers.  Then I could move the
PCIe card to the MythTV box and keep the USB sticks on my laptop so I
can do TV when I am out of town.

Incidentally, Media Center under Windows 7 Beta 64-bit can handle NZ
DVB-T programs without any problems - I tried it at the weekend.  It
does not do NZ EPG yet though, but it does get the now/next data from
DVB-T.