[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu and DVB-S - Technotrend S-1401 and NOVA-S+

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 20 11:00:20 BST 2008

HiI had lots of fun getting this going.  No surprise, one has to get all the ducks lined up before it will run!  I didn't find a complete list of up to date settings.In frustration I started writing out my settings to ask on the list, however in doing that I got the golden combination!  Having done that I imagine someone else will find it helpful....The Technotrend was run up using 8.04.1, don't bother trying to setup mythtv until the updates have been run.I had not found a report of NOVA-S+ working in MythBuntu, so maybe I am first!?  The NOVA-S+ was run up using 8.10 alpha 4, again ran up fine with the below settings following the update.  I see alpha 6 is now out, not sure if updates brings it up to alpha 6.  Also not sure what the differences are between the two boxes, it may only be that 8.10 uses XFS by default. (?)Anyway...here it is.... The settings I used are...
1 General
 Host Address Backend Setup
  Local Backend IP address: LAN ADDRESS OF BOX {hostname works too}
  Security PIN: 0000   {Allows any client to connect}
  Master Backend IP address: LAN ADDRESS OF BOX

 Locale Settings
  TV Format PAL-BG
  VBI Format PAL Teletext
  Channel Frequency Table: newzealand
  Your Local Timezone (for XMLTV): None or AUTO both seem to work

 {Accept remaining defaults}

2 Capture Cards
 Capture Card Setup
  Cardtype - DVB DTV Capture Card v3.x
   Card Detected:    Philips TDA10086 DVB-S  {Technotrend S-1401 DVB-S Card}
  Signal Timeout 60000
  Tuning Timeout 62500

  Diseqc Options:
   LNB Preset:  Custom
   LNB Type: Universal (Voltage + Tone)
   LNB LOF Switch 11300   {Is the LNB L.O.}
   LNB LOF Low: 11300
   LNB LOF High: 11300
   LNB Reversed False
   {Looks like the Mhz/Khz mismatch has recently been corrected to Mhz in updates?}
  Recorder Options
   Open DVB Card on demand - Checked  {said to be required}

3 Video Sources
 Video Source Settings
  Video Source Name: S-1401                {Don't forget to name!}
  Listings grabber: Transmitted guide only (EIT)
  Channel frequency Table: newzealand

4 Input connections
Use quick tuning:  Live TV only
 Video source: S-1401
 Scan for channels
  Scan Configuration
   Frequency(khz): 12483000
   Polarity: Horizontal
   Symbol Rate: 22500000
   FEC: 3/4
   Inversion: Auto

{12483000 gets TVNZ channels. Also need run
 12456000 for TV3, C4, Stratos, Parliament TV, CUE, Te Reo, Reserved 7K, RNZ National, RNZ Concert, George FM}

5 Channel Editor
{Need to delete out channels - How delete selected channels?}

6 Storage Directories
 {No Changes}

NB Comments enclosed in {comments}
Teletext is how it should always been, moving it into the sphere of a useable data source, with instant display of screens.  EPG is also working with the above.Still to get the remotes working.Also not yet figured how to control where the image is displayed - one box is displaying the image only composite out (NVIDIA series 4 card) and second (NVIDIA 5200) is VGA only!  Image quality from the latter is stunning on a 1600x1200 CRT monitor, with excellent clarity from even a foot.  It is the first time I have seen excellent quality TV from so close!  It is also almost as good as HD.Be nice to get the image on the TV output(s) and still have ubuntu on the monitor.  Not sure if that can be done though.  (Short of doing it remotely off the box)Have fun!David