[mythtvnz] H264 Performance - Patch to enable skip loop filtering and use 2 threads.

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sun Sep 14 06:11:45 BST 2008

Graeme,

2008/9/14 Graeme Woollett <graeme.joy at paradise.net.nz>:
> Yep, there's a petition on the net regarding this and I have signed it.
> But given the rapid succession of chipsets and the market share that the
> NIX's have it must be expensive for them to provide a fully featured driver.

To be fair to nVidia, my understanding is that Windows has a decent
video acceleration framework, so nVidia supports it.  Up until now,
Gnu+Linux has only had XvMC, which nVidia supports.

It is hard to see what they could have done, aside from creating their
own acceleration API or patched every Gnu/Linux media application.

If VA-API catches on, I would fully expect the official nVidia drivers
to support (at least most of) it. They have been pretty good. Of
course, I would far rather see the open drivers supporting it than the
non-free ones.

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Regards,

Aaron

--
FSF Associate Member: 5632