[mythtvnz] DVD not mounting

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Thu Sep 11 03:49:23 BST 2008

Hi All,

My Mythbuntu box has suddenly started refusing to mount my DVD player
(actually a Lite-On Blu-Ray/DVD combo drive). The drive works fine, as I can
boot from it, but on a normal boot it simply refuses to work - I get the
message that "Special device scd0 does not exist" if I try to manually mount
(and indeed, it does not). I have searched and it appears to have been an
issue for a lot of people using Ubuntu, but I have not been able to find any
definitive fix. I know this is not specifically MythTV related, but there
seem to be plenty of knowledgeable people on this list, so I'm hoping someone
can help.

I have not applied any updates etc recently - it just suddenly started
misbehaving.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Here's my fstab, for what it's worth:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=ec35d188-e0bf-437f-bfef-be6a13f09dbb /               ext3
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=6cc657c7-d084-4cc1-8d42-7c3e50ffba1b none            swap    sw
0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/mythmedia/media	/var/media	xfs	rw,noatime	0	0