[mythtvnz] Anyone successfully using CoreAVC for h264 decoding ?

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Fri Sep 5 01:00:30 BST 2008

> New tests with CoreAVC 1.7. CPU is 3600+ running in performance mode
> of 2GHz. and CPU scaling disabled
>
> Channel resolution dshowfilter mythfrontend
> freeview|HD 720p 78 20
> TV One 720p 84 22
> TV 2 720p 75 22
> TV 3 1080i 150 22
> C4 576i 34 7
> TVNZ 6 576i 30 7
> TVNZ 7 576i 21 7
>
> Some odd issues when switching between 720p and interlaced channels,
> but otherwise load is ok even on TV3.
>
> The mythfrontend load is reasonably reliable.
>
> I also tried tweaking the de-blocking settings
>
> ~/bin/registercodec -r $REGISTRY -k \
> "HKLM\\Software\\IniFileMapping\\CoreAVC\\Settings\\C:\\coreavc.ini" \
> -v "deblock=9"
>
> This appeared to reduce the CPU load by a few more percent.
>
> Unlike Graeme I managed to get working audio on all of the channels.
My present build has audio working on all channels ;-)

> Not really a bullet proof solution yet. Load is a lot better than pure
> ffmpeg thanks to the CPU threading support, but I have a feeling if
> ffmpeg gets better multi-core support it will beat CoreAVC.
>
> Sadly the quality isn't there though. The Interlaced channels look a
> little bit scrappy.
>
> I think we need to hold out for better threading support in ffmpeg, or
> the GSoC performance improvements using the GPU to accelerate the decode.
>
> Steve

Changing to TV3 using Live TV crashes the frontend every so often,
otherwise its stable playing back TV3 if left alone.
Steve, are you getting _any_ shudder with large screen changes on TV3?
I have to agree with Steve, the picture quality the interlaced channels
isn't there yet.

I notice that CoreAVC 1.8 is out, there are some fixes to the
interlacing code.  I wonder if it has the same sort of install process
as 1.7...

Graeme