[mythtvnz] jumpy video

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:13:28 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Steven Mulvay <steven.mulvay at slingshot.co.nz
> wrote:

> Hi All, how are you?
> I've finally got mythbuntu tuned up and running but the video is
> extremely jumpy, audio clips a little bit too, but nowhere near as bad
> as video.  Live TV and TV recordings are as bad as each other.

It shouldn't be CPU, but what does top say when you're watching?

> My CPU shouldn't be drained very much because I'm using a PVR-150 which
> is a hardware MPEG-2 encoder. I am wondering whether Mythbuntu is
> having trouble using the encoder, although there are no errors shown on
> start-up. (I have splash turned off)

It's not having problems using the encoder - if it was it wouldn't record at
all. But just in case try copying one of the recordings to another machine
to rule out the recordings as an issue.

Have you tried watching anything with mythvideo? Does that have the same
issue?

If that's not a SATA drive it might be drive performance - make sure DMA is
on (hdparm -d /dev/hd...)

Is X setup correctly? Try playing something using Xine or mplayer. If they
work ok then the problem is Myth, otherwise the problem is something in your
system and X would be a prime candidate at that point.

Cheers,