[mythtvnz] Slightly OT - Freeview signal strength

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Oct 27 05:36:16 GMT 2008

On 27/10/2008, at 5:54 PM, phlux0r wrote:

> Hi.
>
> We just bought a Sony Bravia HD TV with a built in Freeview decoder
> and it works a treat. However, today I noticed that TV3 C4 and Maori
> are dropping out and losing the signal. The TV's signal meter says
> the signal is low. When we got the TV over the w/e all channels were
> fine. I guess it may be that when it's cloudy, the signal is
> stronger and now that it's clear weather, it gets lost... Now, the
> TV is plugged straight into the the Aerial cable from the roof
> (which is quite long - not sure how long as we're renting). We
> already have pretty bad analogue reception in our area so that's a
> bummer too.
>
> Additionally, I would like to feed the antenna into my Myth box as
> well as the TV so I got a splitter but as you already guessed, with
> the splitter the Freeview channels just come out like scrambled
> eggs...
>
> My question is, what can be done here to improve the Freeview signal
> and to be able to use the signal splitter to feed both the TV and
> PVR? Would a signal booster help? I read that it helps only if you
> already have a good signal.
>
> Also, where can I get one of them and how much are they?
>
> TIA, Robert

First up where are you based.

Secondly what is your Prime reception like over the same aerial.

Lastly are you using RG6 cable or is it an older type of cable.

Your option is to try and pick up a UHF amplifier, but it is worth
checking things out first. The splitter will generally drop a couple
of dB off your signal which explains your issues when trying to feed
the MythTV box.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz