[mythtvnz] A few MythTV questions

banksie at paradise.net.nz banksie at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 13 22:00:18 BST 2008

Quoting Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:

> depends if you want to get HD or not. If you are happy with SD your
> machine is fine, and you will need a satellite dish. If you want HD
> you need DVB-T and a very grunty machine as well as the latest patches
> from Paul Kendall (see other threads).

   If you want to play HD live, then yes you need a grunty machine. However my
modest old single core Athlon XP 3000+ (Socket 754 so it doesn't even get dual
channel memory interleaving to help) can handle transcoded HD streams. This
means I almost never watch anything on the night it airs but usually a day or
two down the line but you certainly can do DVB-T this way.

   Transcoding takes a while so you end up just running your myth box all the
time to give it crunching time.

   The only issue I am currently having is that TV3 won't transcode its audio
correctly right now.

Philip