[mythtvnz] MythTv playback on Windows Vista

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 20:47:25 BST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Ross and Jemima <ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Andrew,
>
> I thought the HD was a fat mepg2 stream but I stand to be corrected as I'm
> new to this whole thing.

You are confusing codec and container. codec is how audio and video
are compressed. container is how the compressed audio and video are
mixed together into a single file or stream and delivered to the
"consumer". confusingly mpeg defines a whole lot of codecs and
containers, so "mpeg" is a term that can mean different things in
different contexts.

HD from freeview uses the h.264 (mpeg4 part 10) video codec and a
variety of audio codecs (ac3 or he-aac) and is delivered in an mpeg2
ts (transport stream) container.

> As an update I have managed to get MythTv to connect to the database by
> mucking around.  I'm not sure exactly what I did but anyway this is what I
> get now:
>
> C:\Program Files\mythtv>mythfrontend
> 2008-10-13 20:02:21.147 Using localhost value of ROSS-LAPTOP
> 2008-10-13 20:02:21.151 Testing network connectivity to 10.1.1.10
>
> C:\Program Files\mythtv>mythfrontend
> 2008-10-13 20:02:52.411 Using localhost value of ROSS-LAPTOP
> 2008-10-13 20:02:52.424 New DB connection, total: 1
> 2008-10-13 20:03:07.854 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host:
> 10.1.1.10

Have you read the README file?

README for Win32 Installation of MythTV version: 0.21 svn 16789
The current installation very basic:
 - All exe and dlls are %PROGRAMFILES%\mythtv
 - share/mythtv is copied to %PROGRAMFILES%\mythtv\share\mythtv
 - lib/mythtv is copied to %PROGRAMFILES%\mythtv\lib\mythtv
 - mysql.txt and user configuration files are set to %APPDATA%\mythtv

if you have MYSQL installed locally, mysql.txt will be configured to
use it. if you want to run
the frontend with a remote MYSQL server, edit mysql.txt in %APPDATA%\mythtv

if you don't have MYSQL installed locally, only the frontend will be
installed. mysql.txt
needs to be configured to the backend IP address

if you install the components in other directories other than the
default, some environment
variables will need to be set:
MYTHCONFDIR = defaulting to %APPDATA%\mythtv
MYTHLIBDIR  = defaulting to %PROGRAMFILES%\mythv\lib
MYTHTVDIR   = defaulting to %APPDATA%\mythtv

> and then it crashes.  I've tried running as administrator to see if that
> helps.  It didn't.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if there is a configuration problem with my backend.
> Is there anyway to test that it is working correctly?

can you telnet to port 3306 on the backend? port 3306 is the port
mysql runs on. Sometimes mysql is configured to run only on localhost
and other computers can't connect. Thats ok when you only have
combined front/back end but is obviously a problem when you try
running over the lan.