[mythtvnz] Diskless Front-End

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Nov 28 08:42:19 GMT 2008

> What hardware (and Myth build) would people currently recommend for a
> diskless MythTV front-end, for DVB-S playback only, doing a network boot?
> I'm after small and silent.

I'm doing all that with a Via Epia SP13000.

Its driving a 40" Sony at 1360 x 768 native resolution out of the VGA port
and sending audio via S/PDIF to my theatre amp, all without any XvMC
acceleration at all.

The software build is Gentoo which I created (and have maintained for the
last 3 years) in a chroot environment on my server/backend box - the
MythTV version being latest -fixes SVN.

Can't remember the name of the case but I'm using a 200w car PSU that has
an external 12volt brick driving it so I don't generate a lot of heat from
the PSU and no PSU cooling fan, just the CPU fan which is quiet enough.

Everything works OK but the MythMusic visualisations are a bit slow!!

--
Robin Gilks