[mythtvnz] XVMC support for 8xxx cards

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Wed Nov 19 20:41:17 GMT 2008

I'm have a 6500 series card and have recently acquired a 8400GS card in
anticipation of VDPAU/H264 support for mplayer and mythtv.

I was surprised to find out that XVMC acceleration is not available in
8xxx cards and up.
This was confirmed when I replaced the 6500 with the 8400, consequently
my 5600 CPU topped out and jittery video followed.

I have a lot of MPEG2 recordings, but if I choose to go HD with the
8400, does this mean I have to transcode all my MPEG2 stuff to H264 to
get reasonable performance?

Or have I got it all wrong?