[mythtvnz] New Video Decode and Presentation API

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Wed Nov 19 08:45:33 GMT 2008

On 19/11/2008, at 4:39 PM, Robin Gilks wrote:

>> Is it likely that the performance of this acceleration is dependent
>> on
>> the card/GPU you've got? I imagine the GPU still has a finite
>> capacity
>> to decode H264, especially as it might have to be doing other things
>> like rendering/scaling the actual output too...
>>
>> I guess there's no simple way to get the load level of your GPU
>> though?
>>
>> That said, this is very exciting!
>>

>> Neil
>
> I've been looking at motherboards with 8/9000 series GPUs onboard
> but I'm
> finding it difficult to nail them down as some retailers just don't
> give
> much detail without burrowing down into their web site.
>
> For example, this one is local, cheap and in stock
>   http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=253597
> but as far as I can see its a full size ATX card which makes it
> ideal for
> my new server (and backend) but not as a frontend.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions based on this new nvidia criteria
> for a
> quiet low power (in my case diskless) frontend motherboard? Just think
> ahead to Christmas!!
>
> Cheers

If you want AMD + MATX you probably want to look at the M3N78-VM

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=643&l4=0&model=2268&modelmenu=1

Pricespy has details

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_13353.html

I'm considering the motherboard as an option myself.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz