[mythtvnz] Fwd: [mythtv] New Video Decode and Presentation API

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 11:40:50 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:46 PM,  <banksie at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Quoting Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz>:
>
>> At the moment the best way to test is with MPlayer. Might be a while
>> before we see MythTV patches.
>
>   Would we need MythTV patches? Myth can be configured to use ffmpeg as its
> decoder and if that is patched (which the nVidia release says they have patched)
> then surely that would do all the heavy lifting for Myth? Or am I missing something?

I believe Myth doesn't link to ffmpeg directly, it has an internal
copy (which is modified). So Myth will need to be synched to the new
version of ffmpeg (once that project adopts the nVidia patches) or the
nVidia patches need to be applied to the local copy. How long it takes
all depends on how large and invasive nVidia's changes are.

Cheers,