[mythtvnz] Freeview HD and transcoding trouble

Andrew Walters andrew at silverstream.net.nz
Mon Nov 3 02:50:01 GMT 2008

----- banksie at paradise.net.nz wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Walters <andrew at silverstream.net.nz>:

> > I see I'm not the first with this TV3 problem (Banksie did you get
> it to go?)
>
>    Sadly no. I haven't had the time to chase the issue further (been
> cutting and
> stacking firewood in my free time, thankfully finished with that now)
> and being
> an Ubuntu/mythtv newcomer I am not entirely sure where to start with
> this as it
> is. My thought was that the transcode program isn't correctly
> recognising the
> sound sample rate or number of channels for TV3 - which given that TV3
> is the
> only NZ station doing 5.1 broadcasts (as far as I understand it) isn't
> too
> surprising. The annoying thing is the video transcodes beautifully.

I was suspecting the interlaced video, I was toying around with that earlier this morning, I'll have another go tonight.
Annoyingly, last night I did stumble on something:

I changed the MP3 encoding bitrate from 44.1 to 48kHz and the sound and playback speed came right, but then the video interlaced (and badly, because it also downscaled the interlacing bars were ~5px high at a guess)

I added the yadif deinterlacer to the transcode again and it reverted to the original problem. I shall have another go at it tonight.

> Hmmm, I am getting oddness in my TV1 transcode/recording of 'New
> Tricks' that
> seems to coincide with my epg update process running. When it occurs
> my audio
> becomes very choppy and broken and stays this way for the rest of the
> episode.
> Given that I have been recording TV1 shows a bit it and it only occurs
> with this
> program says to me it might be a CPU resource issue. What were you
> getting when
> Xen interferred?

I was getting 3-5 second blocks (sometimes longer) of terribly corrupted audio and video whenever something was recording and the domU wanted some CPU.

Andrew