[mythtvnz] Freeview HD and transcoding trouble

Andrew Walters andrew at silverstream.net.nz
Sun Nov 2 23:18:36 GMT 2008

Hi, this is my first post to the list.

I have a problem transcoding the HD channels.

After a huge amount of time spent on it, I've managed to set up mythtv using both my old WinTV PVR150 (analogue VHF/UHF tuner) and a Nova-T 500 dual DVB-T tuner using Paul's excellent patches on my openSUSE box.

I've got it on my home-office server, with a mythfrontend PC in the lounge.

Unfortunately, the frontend is not up to doing HD well, so I transcode all digital recordings to 768x576 before watching them.

This isn't working so well.

TVOne and TV2 jerk slightly both before and after the transcode (sound is ok, and the jerking seems to be in the recording as it's always in the exact same places when viewing recordings), and TV3 plays back at half speed after transcoding (MPEG-4, with audio as MP3 48Kbps).

When watching a transcoded TV3 program and ramping up the playback speed to 2x, the video is perfectly smooth but the audio is still terrible, making it unlistenable.

I see I'm not the first with this TV3 problem (Banksie did you get it to go?)

Thanks,

Andrew

PS one problem I solved myself but it may be handy for Googlers having something similar: it took a while to get the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 card and Xen to play nicely, mythtv is in the dom0 but I had to use xen credit scheduler to limit my (only) domU to use 20% CPU max to stop frequent video corruption (xm sched-credit -d your-domU-name -c 20)