[mythtvnz] freeview HCDP question

Jason Haar jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau.org
Thu May 22 08:08:55 BST 2008

A bit OT but not really....

Apparently Freeview boxes receiving HDTV will only output that HD signal
to HCDP-compliant devices over HDMI (eg LCD TVs). DRM in action. Anyway,
if you don't have a HCDP-compliant device, then it's downgraded to
Standard Dev?

I'm curious. What does that mean? Does that mean it's MPEG2 SD, or some
weird MPEG4 low-res format? And does it happen automatically (which
implies firmware), or would you have to manually configure the Freeview
to output SD? I don't own a box - so I have no idea.

Jason