[mythtvnz] Mythvideo Record Playback Issue

NZ Russ nzruss at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:59:55 BST 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey again all.

I have an interesting issue and seem to be chasing my tail. ( Not 100% *NZ*
related, but know you guys are the best help. )

   - Some DVD's will not rip to my mythtv box. They crash 3/4 the way
   through the rip process.  (all ripping as 'iso', but fails a 'perfect' vob
   rip too. Havent bothered with transcode).
   - Fails to rip with vobcopy from command line, similar to above.
   - Many of my already ripped videos will not play to the end, and crash
   the player (mythvideo/vlc/mplayer) at about the 3/4 mark.  I'm not sure if
   its in the same place, and sometimes crashes at the start of the video
   before the menu screen. (using differnent players also. Mplayer being the
   most fragile)
   - Sometimes crashes the Internal player, or the whole frontend. If using
   VLC from desktop, it drops the movie but the ap stays open similar to if the
   movie ended.
   - Seems to be fragile if fast fowarding - not sure - need to test more.
   - One of the iso's that will not play to the end was ripped on another
   machine and plays fine on that other machine.
   - One of the ISO's that plays fine on another machine jumps and stutters
   like audio and video are fighting for each other for sync.
   - Actual physical DVD's play fine - all the way to the end.
   - Have run 'spin-rite' over the drives and they had no apparent problem.
   - Have tried different playback profiles (is that only for TV
   playback??)   (CPU--, CPU+, Normal) - same results.
   - Am currently transferring one of the 'trouble' ISO's to my windows
   machine to see if it plays there. Also have a long AVI file from BT that i'm
   tranferring from my server to my mythbox to see what happens there.
   - Have no problem with recorded freevew ( from SkystarII DVB-S)
   - DVD's are a combination of PAL and NTSC - the worst offenders are Cars,
   Madagascar and Over The Hedge. OTH was ripped on another machine and plays
   fine there.

The only things I can think of:

   - problem with the latest version of libdvdcss.deb? ( i tried a previous
   version I had on a memstick but no change)
   - a sound issue?? as i did try installing the pulse audio manager but it
   didnt do anything so removed it),
   - DVD DMA or related?
   - Start again, reinstall and re-rip. (now is the time for me to do
   that..... )
   - Rip them all at my server and transfer them over.
   - I must check all the internal connections (SATA etc,) again too...

Software:
Mythbuntu 8.04 mostly default install with some minor apps added.
Mythtv 0.21
Nvidia Proprietry Drivers (from mythbuntu repo)
Combined front and backend.

Hardware:
MSI GeForce 6200 LE 128MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - (fanless) (DVI
to 42" Plasma: Sony 42-PX2)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 on an ( ECS GEforce 6100-PM-M2 mobo (VGA only) (not
using onboard graphics)
1 GB DDR2800
2x 500GB storage (seagate)
1 x DVB-S skystarII