[mythtvnz] Basic hardware help

Karl Leaning mythtv at objectivity.co.nz
Sun Mar 16 04:07:38 GMT 2008

The GX50 uses the 810E chipset which has embedded video and does not
support AGP. The 810 is ok for what you need but don't expect too much
from it. I understand there are problems in driving non 4:3 displays and
there are patches around to force it to support a 16:9 display.

As an ex Dell service engineer, I do have to mention a known fault with
these units. There are a  series of tallish round capacitors with a
cross stamped on the top. Due to manufacturing problems (and this does
not just affect Dell machines), these have a habit of drying out and
stop working (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague). When
this happens often the top of the cap busts and brown "pus" oozes out
(don't touch it is very toxic). The PC will exhibit a large number of
faults from not working to random freezes with the bios complaining of
thermal errors.

I guess, what I am saying is don't invest too much money in this box (or
any P4/celeron pc of this era).