[mythtvnz] Memory. Re: (no subject)

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Thu Mar 13 20:31:38 GMT 2008

Criggie wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>>> -256Mb of Ram. (would there be much gained if I had 512?)
>>>
>> 256MB for a backend/frontend box isn't enough, 1GB is comfortable

There's a big difference between recommended minimum and "comfortable".
1GB lets you do other useful stuff (eg zoneminder, terminal server) with
a machine that may be  on all day every day chewing up power.  On an
underpowered machine extra ram *does* help.

What's unclear is the expectations Matt has from such a system, if he
wants to record the odd show he'll be fine, if he is a heavy tv watcher
then what he has is simply _not_ adequate.

If he wants to use a TV then a m/b without an AGP slot is a bad idea,
not to mention that it won't in all probability detect very large
disks.  The quality of  TV out from the MX4** cards is dubious in my
experience.

I agree with Toby, in my experience building Mythtv boxes from dungger
PC's is that they are frequently unreliable (leaky caps etc, etc) and
simply not worth the effort.