[mythtvnz] (no subject)

James Gray james6.0 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:39:03 GMT 2008

matthew pearce wrote:
> Hi again

Well Hi there, Matthew

> How does this hardware sound for a mythbox
>
> Dell optiplex GX50 comprised of
> -1.2Ghz Celeron
> -120gb hard drive
> -DVD reader/writer
> -256Mb of Ram. (would there be much gained if I had 512?)

For an SD (Standard definition TV) system, this should be more than
sufficient. I'd suggest a bigger hard drive, however, somewhere in the
300-500GB range seems to be the sweet price/size spot at the moment, but
more is better

> I hope to add to the above (all of which ive got except for some extra ram)
> -A Hauppauge Win tv PVR 150/250/350/500 (which would be the best for
> watching free to air tv (no freeview/sky)

For Analog TV, I'd suggest either a 150 or a 500. A 500 is just two 150
tuners in one card (so you can record two programmes at once, or watch
and record)

I would suggest, however, you investigate freeview. In a few years there
wont be analog TV service, and freeview gives you more channels, an
integrated EPG (so you don't need to muck around with XMLTV), and the
stream comes off the satellite in MPEG-2 format (the PVR-150/500 needs
it's own MPEG2 encoder chip).

> -Some sort of PCI NVidia graphics card with s-video out do I can
> change it to composite. (is this necessary. The Optiplex has a onboard
> graphics card and it seems as though you can get VGA to S-Video
> converters. However currently knoppmyth will not start X. I havent
> tried very hard yet though.

It might be easiest to do it this way. I had an AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
system running a MythTV with some integrated graphics (S3 I think) which
never worked correctly with xv. I dropped in an nVidia TNT2 that I had
lying around and it worked fine, with just the nv driver (that's the one
built into X, you don't need to download one from nvidia).h