[mythtvnz] Bit rot?

Michael Dilger mike at mikedilger.com
Fri Jun 27 03:19:48 BST 2008

AlanP wrote:
> Every three or four months, my mythbox goes belly up. It works if I reset
> it -- for about twenty minutes, then it locks up. Hard. Reinstalling it and
> rescueing my settings from the backup (go go Knoppmyth!) usually seems to
> fix it.

If reinstalling fixes it, then it is probably file system damage.   If
you get hard hangs and have to press the power button, that does file
system damage each time.

You could verify this by running fsck on your root partition by booting
of CD first.

fsck can fix the structure of the file system, but damaged files
typically remain damaged and "bit rot" continues.  There are ways to use
backups and rsync or cpio to determine what has "rotted" and spot-fix
those changes.

To see what hardware is causing the crashes, leave your system on the
console (if in X, press ctrl-alt-F1) and turn off screen blanking on
that terminal (setterm -blank 0 -powersave off), then leave it alone
until it hangs.   If you have it compiling something big and nasty on
another terminal, that could help set off a freeze event.   It should
print out a nice machine check exception error message something like this:

    CPU0: Machine Check Exception 000000000000004
    Kernel Panic - not syncing: CPU Context Corrupt

Then you can run that message through a program called mcelog (you may
have to install that) to get more information on what the message
means... it may for instance tell you which subcomponent of your
computer failed.... most likely some piece of the motherboard you cannot
replace, or memory... but interesting none-the-less.

Practically, the solution is what others have mentioned:  blow off the
dust with an air compressor,  upgrade your fans (if you use quiet fans,
sorry, get loud fans),  down-tweak your BIOS settings (underclock
things, increase memory timing), and pray that this will be enough.   If
not, start overvolting as well ... overvolting wears things down faster,
and creates more heat, but does bring stability.

If you still get hard crashes, you will still get "bit rot" and the only
solution then is to get a new computer.

Mike