[mythtvnz] Bit rot?

James Gray james6.0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 21:13:20 BST 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:20 AM, AlanP <alan.p at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> Every three or four months, my mythbox goes belly up. It works if I reset
>> it -- for about twenty minutes, then it locks up. Hard. Reinstalling it and
>> rescueing my settings from the backup (go go Knoppmyth!) usually seems to
>> fix it.
>>

> overheating causing corruption?
> damaged disk drive?

I'd second that theory... Is your mythbox running a bit warm? If it is,
I'd suggest a few more fans, maybe try improving the airflow a bit, and
if all else fails, a better designed case would help. I'd suggest if
your case has a position for an inlet fan in front of the hard drives,
you install one (or a bigger one, if there already is one there)

Also, if your drive has been cooking, I'd replace it as well.