[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 8.04 Issues - Out of the box

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:34:36 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, June 24, 2008 10:07 am, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Ashley Kirk <ash at pcx.co.nz> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> First off, thanks Hads for the tip on repairing the mythconverge
>>> database. Unfortunately I had forged ahead in the inbetween day and
>>> decided to do a reload fresh of Mythbuntu 804.
>>>
>>> I have now reloaded twice from the Alternate Mythbuntu 804 cd (doing a
>>> fresh install) and have had the same problem twice...
>>>
>>> Basically, when you start the Backend setup (I have front and backends
>>> on the same box) it claims in cannot find the database or connect to it.
>>> I have checked in the Mythbuntu Control Centre and it appears like MYSQL
>>> isnt installed by default - is this correct? Shouldnt it just work 'out
>>> of the box'? Im not sure if I am doing something wrong.. I am just
>>> installing with defaults
>>>
>>> Can anyone advise if they have had this issue? I cant see what Im doing
>>> wrong. I have tried applying ubuntu updates, enabling mysql in the
>>> control centre, fiddling with ports (6546) and logins on the database
>>> setup screen in the backend setup etc
>>>
>>> 7.10 didnt seem this hard to get going...
>>>
>>> Maybe im missing something?
>>>
>>> Also, the account that is created during setup is forcing me to login,
>>> it isnt automatically logging on and starting the frontend like 7.10
>>> did...
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!
>>
>> I haven't used the alternate cd, but in the mythbuntu 8.04 desktop cd
>> there is mythcontrolcentre (I think it's called) that allows you to
>> specify what role your box is to play, master backend, slave backend,
>> frontend etc. Of you choose master backend it should install mysql.
>>
>> I must say I haven't particularly enjoyed mythbuntu, and I am looking
>> forward to knoppmyth R5.5.
>>

> So Nick - What are your annoyances with Mythbuntu compared with Knoppmyth?
>
> At the moment I'm looking at moving the myPVR base from Knoppmyth to
> Mythbuntu/Ubuntu so I'm very interested in people's opinions.

Knoppmyth:

*appliance-like, no desktop style annoyances;
*good backup and restore for moving up a version
*extra menu features like halt, restart etc
*sensible partitioning with all data (music, video, recorded etc) in
one partition mounted at /myth
*good support on forums
* easy to start and stop backend, frontend and mythtv-setup from built
in keyboard shortcuts

BUT:
*older kernel
*no packaged updates to mythtv (but all the facilities to build it from source)
*no release with 0.21 (yet)

Mythbuntu:

*mytharchive didn't work out of the box (needed some directories made
and permissions set right, this is just sloppy)
* default install makes one partition with most data at
/var/lib/mythtv but some at /var/lib/mytharchive. again this is
sloppy, and the docs didn't even tell me where my data would be
residing so i could a make a separate partition and mount it at the
right place. I had to install, see where ubuntu thought the data
should be, and then re-install to get partitioning right.
* annoyingly different bindings on my remote control (you get used to
pressing <-- and to have its functionality moved to STOP is annoying)
* just little annoyances I can't even think of sitting at my desk here
* forum support seems poor compared to  knoppmyth, a lot of less
knowledgable people floundering about on ubuntuforums (IMNSHO).
* what's with running the backend as user mythtv and frontend as the
user you create on install? just bloody confusing.
* the different users thing borks xmltv usage, documented here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/335778?search_string=practice;#335778

BUT:

*access to weekly -fixes builds (not that I have made use of them).