[mythtvnz] Using Universal Multi-LNB (D1 & D2)

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 13:32:59 BST 2008

Hi Dean.

Let me start with apologising with probably a very confusing reply.

Thanks for the link. I've had a look and came up with the following.
(combined with Craigs suggestion). The LNB I have uses DiSEqC 2.0 I'm
not sure how to select the difference between 1 and 2, but I just
chose "DiSEqC" in the switch setup.

When looking at the datasheet, in the middle is a little table with
the DiSEqC command vs. Polarity, Band and Sat selection. It does not
mention Voltage and Frequency at all, maybe this LNB does not use that
at all? or am I talking rubbish. Mind you, with dvbtune I've got
success, so MythTV should be able to have success too then right..

So what I need to end up with is the following (I used the example on
your page as a guide)

For Freeview:
DiSEqC A - 22Khz - 18V (LNB1=D1, High Band, Horizontal Polarisation

For D2 (BVN)
DiSEqC B - 22Khz - 13V (LNB2=D2, High Band, Vertical Polarisation)

So I made in my setup

- DiSEqC Switch 2x (A and B)
   - Tone Switch D1
      - LNB-No Tone (not used)
      - LNB-Tone-D1-High (this is Freeview)
   - Tone Switch D2
      - Unconnected
      - Unconnected

Now a bit tricky what kind of LNB I select. As I've "immitated" the
LNB switching with the above structure I figured my best choice would
be a Custom/Legacy(Fixed) on 10600Mhz. (I've tried others too). Theory
being that the tone/voltage selection is done by now.

So up to input connections. I choose the right "tree" ("Port 1 Tone
Switch D1" and then "Port 2 LNB-Tone-D1-High'). I select my video
source (DVB-S) and "scan for channels" Now my theory is getting
already shaky by having a horizontal/vertical selection here). Entered
the freeview frequencies and no luck (probably of course)

So I'm still confused now. I am aware that I'm probably doing
something basic wrong. This is what I like to do now.

1: Where in the logs can I find what kind of decision Mythtv made on
Diseqc, Tone and Voltage. This way I can correlate my setting with
what I actually need. Now it's just trail and error, and don't like
that.

2: Can I change the tone setting in dvbtune? Then I can check if this
works with my LNB (=Diseqc 2.0) or it's just a fluke it's working with
dvbtune. I can't find it in any manual/synax I found on the net.

3: In your example, you select select as LNB "Universal" (10600) for
SatA-Tone. How can this work if you already took care of the
tone/voltages ?

Sorry if this gets a bit tool detailed/ off topic for the list. I've
spent quite some time searching the net or docs or examples but there
is really not much on this stuff (that I can find).