[mythtvnz] MythTV-NZ Recommended Hardware List

Brett Davidson brett at davidson.gen.nz
Mon Jun 16 08:27:08 BST 2008

Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Mon, June 16, 2008 5:02 pm, Brett Davidson wrote:
>
>> OK guys.
>>
>> May I be the first to avail myself of your expertise.
>>
>> I am looking at DVB-T support since I like the idea of watching the
>> upcoming Olympics (amongst other programs) in HD. What I don't like is
>> that all set-top boxes sold here only output SD from non-HDMI connectors.
>>
>> Looking at using MythTV to watch/record the DVB-T in HD so I can watch the
>> programs I want to see later. (Of course if they are live at the time I am
>> home I would prefer to watch them live).
>>
>> So...what sort of beast will I need (DVB-T cards/CPU/Graphics card/Memory)
>> and would it pass Wife-Acceptance-Factor of being low-noise (and
>> preferably low-profile)?
>>

> Well at the moment if you want freeview|HD and MythTV you had better be
> willing to get your hands dirty with custom patches and tweaks and it
> doesn't work with mainstream Myth.
>
> As for Hardware, a dual core 4800+ or greater will do 720p but we still
> don't know about the 1080i channels due to video codec issues.
>
> I'm assuming you want HD over component, so you basically need a good
> enough NVidia chipset with component.
>
> For tuners I'd probably look at the dual tuner Nova-T at the moment, until
> the HVR-2200 PCIe cards have drivers.
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve.

So it sounds like I need to patch things, huh? And even then, it won't
work that well? What do you mean by "it won't work with standard Myth"?
Do I need to patch and/or compile Myth from source, for instance?

I thought FreeView only supported 720p? Are you saying that MythTV won't
play any of my 1080i-encoded Blu-ray movies at present?

Don't need component for output - would prefer HDMI or DVI. Only reason
for component was to record but I can do that on the local (or NAS) hard
drives.

Thanks for the heads up on tuners.

Cheers,
Brett.