[mythtvnz] MythTV-NZ Recommended Hardware List

Dean Pemberton dean at deanpemberton.com
Tue Jun 10 22:14:55 BST 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> I don't want to stifle discussion, but I wonder at the utility of the
> discussion on a local list when there are many wise hardware heads on
> mythtv-user and other places.

You make a good point.  I think there is benefit however to discussing
what the local community uses and finds readily available.
It would seem for example, that most of the people in NZ run one of the
two popular DVB-S cards here.  I think that would be good to capture (no
pun intended =) ).
How much luck would someone have if they asked for help on the list with
a Geniatech Digistar card which they bought from ebay vs a SkyStar2 or
an S1500.

We've seen similar discussion on DVB-T as well.  Would a beginner get
more help if they came with a DNTV Live! or an HVR-4000?

I think it's more a case of discussing what hardware has a higher level
of support within the local community.  And local community is
important, if it wasn't we'd all be on mythtv-user exclusively =)

> A discussion on the *availability* of certain parts in the local
> market is different of course, I am as keen on a bargain as anyone!

heh - Yep as are we all.

Dean