[mythtvnz] Which HD TV to buy - suggestions please?

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Mon Jul 28 02:33:14 BST 2008

On 28/07/2008 12:03 p.m., Dean Pemberton wrote:

> These links might be helpful if you are comparing viewing distance and
> screen size
>
> http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
> http://www.carltonbale.com/home-theater/home-theater-calculator/

Those are some pretty handy links! The graph on the first link seems to be
about right for 20/20 vision. People often imagine they can see the benefit of
1080p at further distances/smaller screens than this graph suggests but
they're usually seeing degradation (lack of sharpness?) due to scaling rather
than improvement due to resolution. I get this illusion watching upscaled 720p
material on my 24" computer monitor.

It's probably more important to see how well a display scales non-native
resolutions than it is to consider resolution on its own. Although for a
mythtv monitor the scaling is probably going to be done on the graphics card
making this point moot.

I guess whether you do scaling at the computer or the monitor depends on the
relative quality of their respective scalers.

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/                                        rick at kpo.org.nz