[mythtvnz] Which HD TV to buy - suggestions please?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 00:40:42 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz>
wrote:

> Rick Hudson wrote:
> > On 27/07/2008 5:46 p.m., Phill Coxon wrote:
> >> There's a 42" LG with 1080P,
> >
> > 1080p on a 1.1m screen? I keep reading that from, say, 3m away you can't
> see
> > the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen that size.

By my calculations 1080p would be about 110 pixels per degree at 3m/10ft, or
0.54 arc minutes per pixel. 720p would be about 74 pixels per degree = 0.8
arc minutes per pixel. From what I've read good human vision can resolve
about 0.3 arc minutes per pixel so the difference between 1080p and 720p is
definitely noticeable at that distance.

> Does anyone have
> > experience to the contrary? In my experience 1080p does not noticably
> differ
> > from 720p at 3m away until the screen is over 2m.
> >
> > I would suggest increasing your minimum size to 50" before discarding
> 720p as
> > an option.
> >
> At 3m I can tell the difference on a 24" screen, so it all depends how
> much you notice this, and how good the source material is.
>
> I assume you meant 42" screen? If you can tell the difference on a 24"
screen at 3m I'm very impressed!

Cheers,