[mythtvnz] OT: Seagate Drives - Would their video surveillance product line be better for Myth than the Barracuda?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 04:33:49 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Matt Poff <matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz>
wrote:

> Looking at adding a new drive to the Myth box and pretty much settled
> on a Seagate because they represent pretty good price/performance. I
> see they have a new product line targeting the digital video
> surveillance market. The product can write multiple streams at once
> (which sounds useful for multiplexed simultaneous recordings).

They do seem to have slightly better MTBF and power usage specs. They don't
offer better actual performance as far as I can see and they're just as
loud. I can't see any great reason to use one instead of a Barracuda. If you
are really limited by drive performance you should probably look at using
storage groups or RAID across multiple drives.

Cheers,